3.16.2009

Monday Moms!

If a child is to keep alive his inborn sense of wonder, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, excitement and mystery of the world we live in. - Rachel Carson

I got caught in "the rut." For the past while, I was so focused on getting things done that I forgot to enjoy the doing. With Cosette around, it was getting hard to find the energy to chase, laugh, and play with Paisley. I was always looking for quick entertainment for her that required little participation on my part. Then my big sis Kara came to town and reminded me of all the joy that can be had when you engage with your kids. Paisley fell in love with Kara as they swung for hours at a time, blew bubbles until they were lightheaded, and had nightly conversations with the moon. Kara taught me once more how to play with my kid - how there is still a sparkle in their eye after the 10th round of "peek-a-boo" and to just enjoy that! I wish Kara lived closer so that when I start taking myself too seriously, the girls and I could tromp over there and remember the excitement of life as we get lost in sidewalk-chalk murals and eating popsicles.

P.S. Sorry Kara! I know you hate this picture because I snuck and took it through the window and you had just got done running - but I love it because when Paisley sees it she says "KA-KA - play?" as in a question like "Can Kara come play?"

2 comments:

The Hardy Things in Life said...

I totally know what you mean, I can get myself so caught up in the house, and other things that I forget to just take a time out! I love playing with the girls and I know they love it too when my does something fun like jumping on the bed with them!! It makes for a good day!! Thanks for the post, it helped me a ton, and to realize I need to remember the same and simple things like bubbles really do make a difference!! Sweet, I am so excited about the hats, your mom is awesome!! Love, Arlee

Kim said...

That is such a good reminder. I have a hard time finding a balance. I would love it if I could play with my kids all day. Only If I never had to dicipline, do laundry or keep the house liveable!